Student Name: Laura Goodings
Student Number: n6129528
Unit: KIB221 CG Toolkit
Assignment 3 VFX Project “Utopia/Dystopia”
Okay, setting up for the last project (Assignment 3) of the KIB221 CG Toolkit unit I felt it might be best to keep a blog on the progress, including all of my research, drafting and developmental stages up until the final submission.
For the project we were required to create either a video or (epic) still image under the theme of ‘Utopia/Dystopia’. It is worth 50% of our overall mark and is due on the 22nd of October. Since I am not comfortable with 3D and am not adequately skilled with video production, I am choosing to take this opportunity to practice using my lovely Cintiq and create a massively detailed 2D Digital matte painting using Adobe Photoshop and possibly Corel Painter.
To coincide with the Utopia/Dystopia theme (and previous projects) I aim to create a Steampunk-styled Cityscape/Garden as this, in my opinion, is the epitome of a utopian dystopia (seen as perfection by some but in reality is far from perfect).
The project will be assessed using the following criteria:
1. Scene Lighting - Application of lighting principles to achieve unity with the background
2. Cinematography and Composition - Appropriate use of cinematic principles in the framing
and composition of shots
3. Animation - Application of animation within the object hierarchies.
4. Application of Theme - Clarity and visibility of theme within the creative work
5. Originality and Expression - Innovation and originality within the design constraints
6. Understanding and Comprehension - Extent to which the blog demonstrates an understanding
of the field of investigation
7. Mechanics - Demonstration of technical competence, and fulfilment of the format requirements.